Tuesday 28 July 2009

THE PAINTED VEIL

I saw the film on DVD yesterday evening. I thought it was so much better than The Iron Man which I'd seen the previous day. It is a touching story about two people who get trapped in a loveless marriage. Edward Norton is Dr Walter Fane, a guy who studies infectious diseases. Kitty the woman who marries him is a vivacious frivolous upper class woman interested only in the good life. She cheats on her husband in Shanghai where he is posted as she finds him dull and staid when compared to the dashing and debonair Townsend. Dr.Fane's services are required in a remote village in China ravaged by a cholera epidemic. So the couple end up in this beautiful place and that's where the rest of the tale unfolds. The movie is a heartwarming love story set in the 1920s. The movie is definitely worth seeing. It is based on Somerset Maugham's novel of the same name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in India. I was born in Sri Lanka and lived in that country for the first ten years of my life. I live in Madras now and I work as an accountant in a large financial organization in the city. Reading and writing is what I like doing best. My views on life and other matters can be unconventional.